I’ve made vegetarian meals before. Usually this involves pasta and a fair amount of cheese. In an attempt to branch out and I decided to try making quinoa tacos. They were excellent! I learned a few valuable lessons in the process as well. For example, one cup of quinoa cooked feeds an army (we’ll be eating tacos for awhile). So here’s what I did:
1. Soaked one cup of quinoa for 5 minutes
2. Heated oil in pan and added chopped garlic and onion
3. Added quinoa and one and a half cups of vegetable broth to the pan
4. Brought to a boil and simmered until most of the stock was gone
5. Added a can of diced tomatoes, half a can of black beans and one cup of frozen corn
6. Season with salt, pepper, cayanne pepper, a little paprika and some red pepper flakes
Served with warm corn tortillas, hot sauce and a salad.
Eating with Others
Today at lunch was a very different experience. We had a staff lunch which involved BBQ and veggie wraps. The wraps had black beans, lettuce, tomato, green pepper and….CHEESE! I initially attempted to remove the cheese until I realized it was included throughout and the was no good way to do it. I’m sure the wraps were good – but I couldn’t find a reasonable way to eat them. In the end I was relieved I’d brought taco leftovers with me, just in case!